Conscious Sedation Therapy
Most of us experience some level of anxiety when visiting the doctor or dentist. In fact, people have even coined the term “white coat anxiety” to describe that feeling. But for some people, that anxiety can be so intense that it actually prevents them from visiting medical professionals altogether. When it comes to dentistry, delaying your visits – even just routine exams and cleanings – can result in negative consequences in a relatively short period of time. That’s why Helena Family Dental offers conscious sedation options to our patients from throughout the Conway, AR, area.
HOW CONSCIOUS SEDATION CAN HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
No matter how hard we work on our daily oral hygiene routine, we’ll never be able to remove all the plaque and tartar that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. That’s why it’s so important to visit your dentist on a regular basis, and why it’s vital to address any dental issues as soon as possible. We understand that this can be challenging for patients who suffer from a high amount of fear and anxiety about visiting the dentist. Fortunately, conscious sedation techniques are totally safe and effective in making patients of all ages feel relaxed and comfortable.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CONSCIOUS SEDATION
Generally speaking, we offer two types of conscious sedation methods to our patients:
- Oral Conscious Sedation – With oral conscious sedation, you’ll be able to respond to the dentist when prompted but will remain borderline asleep and at ease. You will have very little memory which makes long and complicated procedures feel short and quick. After the procedure, you will need to have someone drive you home while you fully wake up.
- N.Oxide – Often referred to as “laughing gas,” N.O. involves inhaling a small amount of gas and oxygen. You’ll feel at ease and somewhat giddy throughout your visit. Patients who choose this form of conscious sedation are able to drive home after their appointment.
As experienced general dentists, strive to provide our patients with high quality and convenient dental care, no matter what the condition of their teeth. In line with this commitment, they will offer oral surgery procedures when appropriate within the comfort of our Helena Family Dental offices. Our doctors and staff encompass the professionalism and technical skill needed to provide for the complex needs of our patients.
At Helena Family Dental, we enjoy being with our patients every step of the way, which is one of the many reasons why our doctors perform oral surgery our patients. Rather than referring you to new physicians who aren’t familiar with your particular condition, we create a personalized experience that allows you to feel safe and comfortable. We understand that the thought of having to undergo oral surgery can be quite unnerving, and do everything we can to ease your anxiety.
ORAL SURGERY PROCEDURES OFFERED
- Extraction of Wisdom Teeth – Wisdom teeth can often negatively impact the alignment of other teeth and make achieving proper oral hygiene difficult resulting in infection, decay, and a great deal of discomfort. It is beneficial to remove the wisdom teeth through oral surgery when this occurs. By carefully monitoring the progression of your oral health, your doctor is able to determine whether or not the wisdom teeth need to be extracted, and if so, the optimal time for removal. Oral surgery to remove wisdom teeth is a very common and safe procedure. You can feel confident in knowing our doctors are very familiar with this type of procedure.
- Other Extractions – At times a tooth needs to be removed due to severe gum disease, irreversible damage to the nerve inside the tooth (and the patient opts not to save the tooth), a failed root canal or endodontic treatment, fracture, or decay. Our doctors at Helena Family Dental are highly trained and skilled in extraction techniques.
- Placement of Dental Implants – In an effort to provide the most comprehensive and convenient care to all of our patients, your Helena Family Dental dentist may offer to place your implants rather than refer you to an outside oral surgeon. Your doctor is involved in every stage of the treatment when you are receiving dental implants allowing for safe and accurate care. You can feel comfortable every step of the way during your dental implant placement.
- Bone Graft Procedures – When bone has deteriorated due to infection or become damaged due to trauma, a bone-grafting surgery may be necessary to further support the structure of the mouth. Bone from natural or synthetic sources may be used. This procedure uses healthy bone to rebuild areas of the jaw and dental ridge that have been weakened. Bone grafting is most frequently performed for patients pursuing dental implant procedures or those seeking a more comfortable fit for their dentures.
- Ridge Augmentation – Ridge augmentation is a common procedure performed after tooth loss. If the ridge where the natural teeth once were has receded following tooth loss, this can create an unnatural look and cause the gums to detract as well. The addition of bone to the affected area can reverse the effects of deterioration and create an aesthetically pleasing restoration, as well as provide adequate support an implant.
- Treatment of Infection – Occasionally an infection may become so severe that it must be drained to facilitate healing.
- Frenectomy or Frenulectomy – The removal or alteration of a frenulum. A frenulum is a fold of tissue or muscle that connects the lip and cheek to the gums, the tongue to the floor of the mouth, or the gingival tissue between two teeth. The removal of a frenulum allows for the closure of space between teeth, freeing movement of the tongue out of the throat, a more comfortable fit for denture wearers and improves speech and swallowing patterns for those who may be tongue tied. At Helena Family Dental we typically use a laser for this type of procedure and most patients liken the discomfort to the burning their tongue with a hot slice of pizza.
- Gingivectomy – If you have a “gummy” smile this just may be the procedure for you. Your doctor will carefully remove excess tissue or correct asymmetries to enhance your smile.
- Biopsy – Occasionally our hygienists and doctors may detect an area of tissue that may be cancerous. This requires a biopsy be sent to a pathologist for further evaluation. These procedures are relatively pain free.
Are you or your child involved in sports like baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and soccer? Studies conducted by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry estimate that up to 39% of dental injuries occur while playing sport and up to 90% of those dental injuries involve the upper front teeth.
When you consider these statistics, it’s easy to understand the need for you and your child to wear a protective mouthguard while participating in sports.
At Helena Family Dental we want to ensure your family’s oral health by doing everything possible to help protect their teeth from damage of any type, including sports injuries.It is especially important to provide adequate protection for children whose young teeth are still developing. Depending on your child’s age, a dental injury can be traumatic, but it can also have a significant impact on their future oral health. Even injuries that you may consider “minor” can cause potentially serious and costly damage.
Athletic mouthguards that are custom fabricated at Helena Family Dental have an advantage over store-bought “boil and bite” mouth guards. Our mouth guards are sturdy and customized to fit your mouth perfectly without hampering your performance; in fact, they may enhance performance as proper jaw positioning may allow for increased oxygenation. Furthermore, the appliance reduces clenching which prevents the release of performance hindering hormones.
Custom fabricated athletic mouthguards are more costly than the generic store-bought alternatives because they are constructed of high-quality material. The added benefits of comfort, durability, performance enhancement possibilities, and superior protection easily justify the investment. As parents, we want the best for our children. Helena Family Dental’s custom fabricated mouthguards are the best when it comes to sports and dental safety.
Avoid risking injury to your teeth during sports activities by contacting one of our offices to schedule your fitting for a custom fabricated mouthguard.